How to Care For the Introvert/Sensitive Person in Your Life
- Respect Their Quietness
Sometimes Quiet Writers just need to be alone. Sometimes they just need to write! Whether it's journaling to get their feelings out, creating stories, or writing about subjects and issues they are passionate about.
Action Step: If they're having a bad day, which will only intensify their need to be alone and recharge, don't bother them. LET them be alone. They won't become recluses or perverts. Just give them some space for alone time and writing. Don't force them to talk to you or be with other people.
- Try Not to Interrupt Them
Action Step: When they're talking to you or in a group of friends, take a moment to listen. They will be quiet and insecure about talking, but try to wait while they sort out their thoughts before you put in your two cents worth.
- Treat Them as if They Are Competent
- Feeling guilty because they don't like partying or find it easier to work alone
- Feeling incompetent and inadequate because they aren't like the rest of their friends
- Afraid to do new things or even the most mundane of things, like asking for directions or telling a waiter something is wrong with their food
- Which can or may lead to other people with stronger personalities treating them as if they were inadequate or incompetent
But if you treat them as capable of doing things, they grow strong. They believe they are competent. This goes for everyone in their own way, not just Introverts or sensitive people. Their inner world becomes less terrifying and they don't shatter as often or as easily as before.
This is how you love someone who is timid and shy, this is how to love everybody. Everyone will respond differently, but this is where you begin.
Action Step: Ask your Quiet Writer to do a favor for you, better yet ask them to do something they love for you. But ask them in a way that will make them feel confident that you believe they can do this task and do it well.
What do you think? Why do Introverts need Extroverts & Why do Extroverts need Introverts?